BERNINA 810 Common Problems and Troubleshooting
The BERNINA 810 sewing machine is a popular choice among sewing enthusiasts due to its reliability and performance. However, like any other machine, it may encounter some problems during use. In this article, we will explore the common problems faced by BERNINA 810 users and provide troubleshooting tips to resolve them effectively.
List of 11 common problems in the BERNINA 810
Before delving into the troubleshooting techniques, let’s first identify the common problems that users may encounter with the BERNINA 810:
- Bobbin holder problems
- Bobbin winding problems. Bobbin winder not spinning
- Sewing machine tension problems
- Breaking needles
- Keep jamming
- Fabric movement problems
- Upper thread breaking
- Bobbin thread problems
- Sewing machine bobbin tension problems
- Stitch problems
Causes of problems on the BERNINA 810
Understanding the underlying causes of the issues is crucial for effective troubleshooting. In the following subsections, we will detail and explain how to troubleshoot each of the problems mentioned above.
BERNINA 810 bobbin holder problems
The bobbin holder is an essential component for proper thread tension and stitch formation. If you are experiencing issues with the bobbin holder, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Ensure that the bobbin is correctly inserted into the bobbin holder.
- Clean the bobbin holder and surrounding area to remove any lint or debris that may be causing obstructions.
- Check if the bobbin tension is appropriately adjusted. If it is too tight or loose, adjust it accordingly.
BERNINA 810 bobbin winding problems. Bobbin winder not spinning
If you are having trouble with the bobbin winder not spinning or encountering difficulties while winding the bobbin, consider the following troubleshooting tips:
- Ensure that the bobbin winder shaft is engaged correctly.
- Check if the bobbin winder tire is worn out or damaged. If so, replace it with a new one.
- Verify that the bobbin winder clutch is engaged. If not, turn the clutch knob to the correct position.
BERNINA 810 Sewing Machine Tension Problems
Improper tension can result in uneven stitches or thread bunching. To troubleshoot tension problems on the BERNINA 810, consider the following steps:
- Check the upper thread tension dial and ensure it is set correctly for the fabric and thread being used.
- Inspect the threading path and make sure the thread is properly seated in all the thread guides and tension discs.
- If the tension is too tight or loose, adjust it gradually until the desired stitch quality is achieved.
BERNINA 810 breaking needles
If your BERNINA 810 sewing machine frequently breaks needles, try the following troubleshooting measures:
- Ensure you are using the correct needle type and size for the fabric being sewn.
- Check the needle insertion. The needle should be inserted fully and facing the correct direction.
- Inspect the needle for any signs of damage or bending. Replace the needle if necessary.
- Verify that the needle is correctly positioned in the needle clamp and securely tightened.
BERNINA 810 Keep Jamming
Jamming can be frustrating while sewing. Follow these troubleshooting steps to resolve jamming problems on the BERNINA 810:
- Remove the fabric, thread, and needle from the machine.
- Clean the bobbin case, feed dogs, and surrounding area to remove any tangled thread or debris.
- Check for any obstructions in the bobbin area or the sewing machine mechanism. Remove any foreign objects if found.
- Ensure the bobbin is correctly wound and inserted into the bobbin case.
BERNINA 810 fabric problem
If you are experiencing issues with fabric movement or feed, try the following troubleshooting techniques:
- Ensure the presser foot pressure is adjusted appropriately for the fabric being sewn.
- Clean the feed dogs to remove any lint or debris that may be impeding smooth fabric movement.
- Check if the stitch length setting is suitable for the fabric type. Adjust it if necessary.
BERNINA 810 upper thread breaking
When the upper thread keeps breaking, consider the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check the upper thread tension and adjust it if needed.
- Inspect the upper thread path and ensure the thread is properly threaded through all the guides and the needle.
- Verify that the thread is not too old or weak. Replace it with a fresh spool if necessary.
- Check for any burrs or sharp edges on the thread guides or tension discs that could be causing thread breakage. Smooth out any rough spots or replace damaged parts.
BERNINA 810 bobbin thread problems
If you are experiencing issues with the bobbin thread, consider the following troubleshooting measures:
- Ensure the bobbin is wound correctly and inserted into the bobbin case with the thread unwinding in the correct direction.
- Check if the bobbin tension is correctly adjusted. If it is too tight or loose, adjust it accordingly.
- Verify that the bobbin case is clean and free from lint or debris that may be affecting the thread flow.
BERNINA 810 sewing machine bobbin tension problems
If you are experiencing bobbin tension issues, follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Check the bobbin tension adjustment and ensure it is properly set for the desired stitch quality.
- Inspect the bobbin case for any signs of damage or wear. Replace the bobbin case if necessary.
- Ensure that the bobbin thread is properly threaded through the tension spring and tension discs.
BERNINA 810 stitch problems
If you are facing stitch-related issues, such as skipped stitches or irregular stitch formation, consider the following troubleshooting tips:
- Check the needle to ensure it is not bent or dull. Replace the needle if needed.
- Verify that the needle is correctly inserted and tightened in the needle clamp.
- Inspect the stitch length and width settings to ensure they are appropriate for the desired stitch.
- Clean the machine, especially the bobbin case area, to remove any lint or debris that may be affecting stitch formation.
BERNINA 810 Sewing machine parts
The BERNINA 810 sewing machine is composed of various parts that contribute to its overall functionality. Understanding these parts can aid in troubleshooting and maintenance. Some important parts of the BERNINA 810 include:
- Presser foot
- Thread cutter
- Hand wheel
BERNINA 810 Sewing machine presser foot problems
The presser foot plays a vital role in guiding the fabric during sewing. If you encounter any presser foot-related problems, consider the following troubleshooting steps:
- Ensure the presser foot is securely attached to the machine and properly aligned.
- Clean the presser foot and feed dog area to remove any lint or debris that may be obstructing smooth fabric movement.
- Inspect the presser foot for any damage or wear. Replace it if necessary.
BERNINA 810 Sewing machine motor problems
If you experience issues with the sewing machine motor, follow these troubleshooting measures:
- Check the power supply and ensure the machine is properly connected to a functioning outlet.
- Inspect the motor for any signs of overheating, unusual noise, or burning smell. If detected, turn off the machine immediately and seek professional assistance.
- Ensure that the machine is not overloaded with heavy fabrics or excessive layers, as this can strain the motor.
BERNINA 810 Sewing machine belt problems
The sewing machine belt drives the machine’s mechanisms. If you encounter belt-related issues, consider the following troubleshooting tips:
- Inspect the belt for any signs of damage, such as fraying or stretching. Replace the belt if necessary.
- Ensure that the belt is properly aligned and positioned on the pulleys.
- Check the tension of the belt. If it is too loose, tighten it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
BERNINA 810 Sewing machine thread cutter problems
If you experience difficulties with the thread cutter, consider the following troubleshooting measures:
- Ensure that the thread cutter is not obstructed by any thread or debris. Clean it if necessary.
- Check if the thread cutter blade is dull or damaged. Replace the blade if needed.
- Verify that the thread cutter mechanism is properly lubricated. Apply a small amount of sewing machine oil if required.
BERNINA 810 sewing machine Hand wheel problems
If you encounter problems with the hand wheel, follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Check if the hand wheel is locked or stuck. Release the lock mechanism if necessary.
- Inspect the hand wheel for any debris or obstructions. Clean it thoroughly.
- Ensure that the hand wheel is properly aligned and rotates smoothly.
BERNINA 810 Manual
The instruction manual for the BERNINA 810 sewing machine can be found on the manufacturer’s website. You can access it by clicking here. The manual provides detailed information on the machine’s features, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures. It is a valuable resource for resolving issues and maximizing the performance of your BERNINA 810 sewing machine.
What Size Bobbin for BERNINA 810?
The BERNINA 810 sewing machine uses Class 15 bobbins. These bobbins are commonly available and can be purchased from sewing supply stores or online retailers. It is essential to use the correct bobbin size for smooth and reliable stitching.
BERNINA 810 Cost
The cost of the BERNINA 810 sewing machine can vary depending on various factors such as the condition of the machine, availability, and location. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the BERNINA 810 was no longer in production. Therefore, you may find pre-owned or refurbished models on the market. It is recommended to check with authorized BERNINA dealers or reputable sellers for accurate pricing information.
BERNINA 810 Weight
The weight of the BERNINA 810 sewing machine is approximately 22.5 pounds (10.2 kilograms). This weight includes the machine body and any installed accessories or attachments. The compact and lightweight design of the BERNINA 810 makes it portable and easy to transport.
Here are five frequently asked questions about the BERNINA 810 sewing machine:
1. How do I adjust the thread tension on the BERNINA 810?
To adjust the thread tension on the BERNINA 810, locate the tension dial or knobs on the machine. Gradually turn the dial or knobs to increase or decrease the tension until the desired stitch quality is achieved.
2. What needle should I use for denim fabric on the BERNINA 810?
When sewing denim fabric on the BERNINA 810, it is recommended to use a size 90/14 or 100/16 jeans/denim needle. These needles are designed to penetrate through heavy fabrics and denim layers effectively.
3. How often should I clean my BERNINA 810 sewing machine?
Regular cleaning is important to maintain the optimal performance of your BERNINA 810 sewing machine. It is recommended to clean the machine after every project or every 8-10 hours of sewing. However, if you notice excessive lint buildup or experience issues, clean the machine more frequently.
Throughout this guide, we have discussed some common problems that BERNINA 810 sewing machine users may encounter and provided troubleshooting tips to resolve them.
By understanding these issues and their solutions, you can make the most out of your BERNINA 810 and ensure smooth and uninterrupted sewing experiences.
Remember, prevention is key! Regular maintenance, proper cleaning, and following the manufacturer’s guidelines will help minimize the occurrence of these problems.
However, in the event that you do encounter a problem, refer back to this guide for troubleshooting steps before seeking professional assistance.
With the knowledge gained from this guide, you can confidently overcome common problems and keep your BERNINA 810 sewing machine running in optimal condition.