SINGER 9985 Common Problems and Troubleshooting
The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9985 sewing machine is a versatile tool that offers numerous creative options. In this article, we will address common problems that users might encounter while using the SINGER 9985 and provide troubleshooting solutions to help you make the most of this sewing machine.
SINGER 9985 Overview
The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9985 sewing machine is designed to fulfill your creative dreams. With 960 Built-In Stitches, including 6 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes, this machine offers a wide range of possibilities.
It features Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation options for even greater creativity. The machine offers easy threading, adjustable stitch length and width, a built-in needle threader, thread cutter, and more.
The large color-touch LCD screen provides clear stitch function information. The machine comes with an extension table for larger projects and 2 StayBright LED lights for optimal illumination.
Product Details and Features
|960 Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine
Causes of Common Problems with the SINGER 9985
This section of the article will explore various common problems that users may encounter while using the SINGER 9985 sewing machine. We will provide detailed solutions and troubleshooting steps to help you resolve these issues efficiently.
Common Problems and Troubleshooting for the SINGER 9985
1. Thread Breakage during Sewing
Description: One common issue with the SINGER 9985 is thread breakage during sewing.
Cause: Thread breakage can occur due to incorrect threading, improper tension settings, or using low-quality thread.
- Ensure proper threading of both the upper thread and bobbin thread, following the machine’s threading diagram.
- Check and adjust the tension settings as per the fabric and thread being used.
- Use high-quality thread that matches the fabric type.
2. Uneven Stitching or Skipped Stitches
Description: Users may experience uneven stitching or skipped stitches while sewing with the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Uneven stitching can be caused by a bent needle, incorrect needle size, or improper threading.
- Ensure the needle is straight and not bent; replace it if necessary.
- Use the correct needle size and type for the fabric being sewn.
- Re-thread the machine, making sure the thread passes through all the thread guides correctly.
3. Bobbin Jamming or Tension Issues
Description: Bobbin jamming or tension problems are common issues faced by users of the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Bobbin jamming can occur due to improper bobbin insertion or incorrect bobbin threading. Tension issues may arise from incorrect tension settings.
- Ensure the bobbin is inserted correctly and wound evenly.
- Check that the bobbin thread is properly threaded through the machine’s tension discs.
- Adjust the tension settings as needed for balanced stitches.
4. Needle Breaking
Description: Needle breakage is a common concern among users of the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Needle breakage can occur if the needle is not properly installed, if it’s dull or damaged, or if the fabric being sewn is too thick for the needle size.
- Make sure the needle is correctly inserted and tightened.
- Replace the needle if it’s worn out or damaged.
- Use the appropriate needle size and type for the fabric you’re sewing.
5. Error Messages on LCD Screen
Description: Users might encounter error messages displayed on the color-touch LCD screen of the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Error messages can result from incorrect machine settings, tangled threads, or a malfunctioning component.
- Refer to the machine’s user manual to understand the specific error code and its meaning.
- Check for tangled threads, and re-thread the machine properly.
- If the error persists, consult the troubleshooting section of the manual or contact customer support.
6. Thread Bunching on the Underside of Fabric
Description: Thread bunching or nesting on the underside of the fabric is a recurring issue for some users of the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Thread bunching can result from incorrect threading of the upper thread, improper bobbin tension, or a damaged needle.
- Re-thread the upper thread, making sure it passes through all thread guides and tension discs properly.
- Check the bobbin tension and adjust it if needed to ensure a balanced stitch.
- Replace the needle with a new, appropriate one for the fabric.
7. Feed Dogs Not Advancing Fabric
Description: Some users might encounter issues where the feed dogs of the SINGER 9985 fail to advance the fabric properly during sewing.
Cause: This problem can occur due to the feed dogs being lowered, built-up lint obstructing their movement, or a malfunction in the feed mechanism.
- Check that the feed dogs are in the raised position for regular sewing.
- Clean the area around the feed dogs to remove lint or debris that might hinder their movement.
- If the issue persists, consult the user manual or contact customer support for further assistance.
8. Uneven Bobbin Tension
Description: Uneven bobbin tension can lead to irregular stitches and fabric puckering in the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Incorrectly wound bobbin, improper threading of the bobbin case, or a damaged bobbin case can result in uneven bobbin tension.
- Ensure the bobbin is wound smoothly and evenly, without overfilling it.
- Check that the bobbin thread is threaded through the bobbin case correctly.
- If the bobbin case is damaged, replace it with a new one.
9. Motor or Machine Overheating
Description: Users may encounter overheating issues with the motor or machine of the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Overheating can occur if the machine is used continuously for an extended period, or if there’s a malfunction in the motor or internal components.
- Give the machine a rest if it feels excessively hot during prolonged use.
- Ensure the machine is placed in a well-ventilated area to prevent overheating.
- If overheating continues, turn off the machine and allow it to cool down. If the issue persists, seek professional repair.
10. Inconsistent Buttonhole Creation
Description: Some users may face challenges when creating consistent buttonholes with the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Buttonhole inconsistency can arise from incorrect buttonhole foot attachment, improper fabric positioning, or a calibration issue.
- Ensure the buttonhole foot is securely attached and compatible with the machine.
- Practice buttonholing on scrap fabric to determine the correct fabric positioning.
- If inconsistencies persist, consult the machine’s manual for buttonhole calibration instructions.
11. Stuck or Jammed Needle
Description: Users might encounter situations where the needle gets stuck or jammed while using the SINGER 9985.
Cause: A stuck needle can result from using the wrong needle type, sewing through thick layers without adjusting settings, or a mechanical obstruction.
- Ensure you’re using the correct needle type and size for your fabric.
- Adjust the machine settings appropriately when sewing through multiple layers or thick fabrics.
- If the needle remains stuck, turn off the machine and gently try to remove the fabric or obstruction causing the jam.
12. Uneven Stitch Length
Description: Users may notice variations in stitch length while using the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: Uneven stitch length can be caused by inconsistent pressure on the foot pedal, mechanical issues, or fluctuating thread tension.
- Practice maintaining a steady pressure on the foot pedal to achieve consistent stitching.
- Check for any obstructions or mechanical problems in the machine’s mechanism that might affect stitch length.
- Adjust the thread tension according to the fabric being used for balanced stitches.
13. Skipped Stitches on Thick Fabrics
Description: Users might experience skipped stitches while sewing on thick fabrics using the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Skipped stitches on thick fabrics can result from using a regular needle instead of a heavy-duty one, or incorrect tension settings.
- Use a heavy-duty needle designed for sewing thick fabrics, and ensure it’s appropriate for the material.
- Adjust the upper thread tension to accommodate the thickness of the fabric.
- Sew slowly and avoid forcing the fabric through the machine to prevent skipped stitches.
14. Thread Knots at the Beginning of Sewing
Description: Thread knots or tangles may occur at the beginning of sewing projects with the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Thread knots can be caused by not holding the thread tails when starting to sew or improper bobbin winding.
- Hold both the upper thread and bobbin thread tails when starting to sew to prevent thread knots.
- Ensure the bobbin is wound smoothly and evenly, with no loose or tangled thread.
- If knots persist, re-thread the machine and ensure correct threading through all guides.
15. Fabric Puckering
Description: Users might notice fabric puckering, where the fabric gathers or wrinkles, while using the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Fabric puckering can result from using the wrong needle, incorrect tension settings, or pulling the fabric while sewing.
- Use the appropriate needle size and type for the fabric to prevent unnecessary friction.
- Adjust the tension settings to achieve a balanced stitch without overly tight or loose threads.
- Avoid pulling the fabric while sewing; let the machine feed it naturally for smoother results.
16. Thread Tension Discrepancies
Description: Users might encounter issues with inconsistent thread tension while using the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: Thread tension discrepancies can result from incorrect upper thread threading, improper bobbin tension, or a misaligned tension mechanism.
- Check that the upper thread is threaded through all necessary guides and tension discs.
- Adjust the bobbin tension carefully to achieve balanced stitches.
- If tension issues persist, consider having the machine’s tension mechanism checked by a professional.
17. Needle Strikes Plate or Foot
Description: Users may face situations where the needle strikes the presser foot or needle plate of the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: This problem can occur if the needle is bent, incorrectly inserted, or if the presser foot is not properly attached.
- Inspect the needle for any bending or damage; replace it if necessary.
- Ensure the needle is inserted correctly, with the flat side facing the back.
- Check that the presser foot is securely attached and not obstructing the needle’s path.
18. Noisy Operation
Description: Some users might notice excessive noise or unusual sounds during operation of the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: Noisy operation can result from a loose part, improper lubrication, or a mechanical issue within the machine.
- Inspect the machine for any loose parts or accessories that might be causing the noise.
- Refer to the machine’s manual for proper lubrication instructions; apply lubricant as recommended.
- If the noise persists, contact customer support or a professional for further assessment.
19. Uneven Feed of Fabric
Description: Users might notice uneven feeding of fabric through the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: Uneven fabric feeding can occur due to improperly adjusted presser foot pressure, an issue with the feed dog mechanism, or uneven fabric tension.
- Adjust the presser foot pressure according to the fabric type to ensure even feeding.
- Check the feed dog mechanism for any obstructions or damage that might hinder its movement.
- Ensure that the fabric is properly aligned and tensioned while sewing.
20. Limited Stitch Selection
Description: Users might face challenges when accessing certain stitches on the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: Limited stitch selection can be caused by not correctly navigating the machine’s stitch menu or a technical glitch.
- Refer to the machine’s user manual for instructions on navigating the stitch selection menu.
- Ensure that the machine is not in a specific mode that restricts stitch selection.
- If the problem persists, consider resetting the machine to its default settings or seeking technical assistance.
21. Needle Threader Malfunction
Description: Users may encounter issues with the needle threader function on the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: Needle threader malfunction can result from misalignment, bent parts, or thread getting caught in the mechanism.
- Check for any visible obstructions in the needle threader mechanism and remove them.
- Inspect the needle threader parts for bending or misalignment; carefully realign or replace if needed.
- Ensure the needle threader is being used correctly according to the machine’s instructions.
22. Difficulty in Free Motion Quilting
Description: Users attempting free motion quilting might face challenges on the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: Difficulty in free motion quilting can result from improper presser foot selection, incorrect tension, or lack of practice.
- Choose a free motion quilting presser foot and ensure it’s properly attached.
- Adjust the tension settings for balanced stitches during free motion quilting.
- Practice on scrap fabric to improve your free motion quilting technique.
23. Thread Snapping in Thick Layers
Description: Thread snapping may occur while sewing through thick layers of fabric on the SINGER 9985.
Cause: Thread snapping can be caused by using a regular needle instead of a heavy-duty one, incorrect thread tension, or trying to sew too quickly through thick layers.
- Use a heavy-duty needle appropriate for thick fabrics to prevent thread snapping.
- Adjust the thread tension to suit the thickness of the fabric being sewn.
- Take your time when sewing through thick layers to prevent excessive strain on the thread.
24. Bobbin Runs Out Quickly
Description: Some users might find that the bobbin thread on the SINGER 9985 runs out more quickly than expected.
Cause: A quickly running-out bobbin thread can result from improper bobbin winding or not properly securing the thread when starting to sew.
- Ensure the bobbin is wound evenly and correctly to avoid running out prematurely.
- Hold onto the bobbin thread tails when starting to sew to prevent excessive unraveling.
- If the problem persists, consider adjusting the bobbin tension slightly to reduce thread usage.
25. Limited Needle Positions
Description: Users might encounter limitations in the available needle positions on the SINGER 9985 sewing machine.
Cause: Limited needle positions can be due to selecting a specific stitch that restricts needle movement or a technical glitch.
- Check if the selected stitch allows for a range of needle positions or if it’s a fixed setting.
- Ensure the machine is not in a mode that limits needle positions.
- If the problem persists, consider resetting the machine or seeking technical assistance.
As always, consult the official user manual and manufacturer’s guidelines for accurate troubleshooting steps.
SINGER 9985 Sewing Machine User Reviews
When considering purchasing the SINGER 9985 sewing machine, it’s helpful to take into account the experiences and feedback of other users. Reviews from real customers can provide valuable insights into both the strengths and limitations of the product. Here, we’ll explore both positive and negative user reviews of the SINGER 9985 sewing machine and provide an overview of their sentiments.
Positive Reviews from SINGER 9985 Sewing Machine Users
- Many users were satisfied with the ease-of-use features of the SINGER 9985 sewing machine, making it conducive for fulfilling their creative dreams.
- Positive experiences were noted regarding the machine’s quiet operation, especially when compared to other models.
- Automatic features like thread tension adjustment, needle positioning, and thread cutting were highly appreciated, contributing to smoother and more efficient sewing.
- Front speed control garnered positive feedback, giving users greater control over sewing speed without relying solely on the foot pedal.
- The inclusion of an extension table for larger working areas was highlighted as beneficial, particularly for quilting and handling larger projects.
Overall, the positive reviews suggest that the SINGER 9985 sewing machine offers a range of user-friendly features that contribute to improved sewing experiences and creative possibilities.
Negative User Reviews of the SINGER 9985 Sewing Machine
- Some users reported issues with the placement of the thread spindle and bobbin winder on the top of the machine, making it slightly inconvenient to access.
- Threading the machine and winding the bobbin were noted as different from other machines and required a bit of adjustment and learning.
- While the machine offered a variety of font styles for stitching, a few users wished for the ability to increase font sizes or customize decorative patterns.
- Several negative experiences were related to specific technical problems, such as the automatic thread cutter malfunctioning or the machine not working as expected.
- Some users expressed disappointment with the customer care service, citing delays in repairs and unsatisfactory communication from the manufacturer.
These negative reviews indicate that while the SINGER 9985 sewing machine has many positive features, there were also instances where users encountered technical difficulties and issues with customer support.
Despite the variety of experiences, the majority of users expressed satisfaction with the SINGER 9985 sewing machine’s performance, features, and capabilities. It’s important to consider both positive and negative feedback when making a purchase decision, as individual experiences can vary based on personal preferences and usage.
SINGER 9985 Sewing Machine Manual
The operating instructions and detailed user manual for the SINGER 9985 sewing machine can be accessed on the official SINGER website. The manual provides comprehensive guidance on setting up, using, and maintaining the machine, as well as troubleshooting common issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Why is my thread breaking frequently?
A: Frequent thread breakage can be caused by incorrect threading, improper tension settings, or using old or poor-quality thread. Ensure that the machine is threaded correctly, adjust the tension as needed, and use high-quality thread suitable for your fabric.
- Q: Why is the stitching uneven?
A: Uneven stitching can result from uneven fabric feeding, incorrect presser foot pressure, or a dull or bent needle. Make sure the fabric is properly aligned and tensioned, adjust the presser foot pressure, and consider changing to a new needle.
- Q: My machine is making unusual noises during operation. What should I do?
A: Unusual noises may indicate a loose part, improper lubrication, or mechanical issues. Inspect the machine for loose parts, follow the lubrication guidelines in the manual, and if the noise persists, seek professional assistance.
- Q: Why is the bobbin thread not being picked up?
A: If the bobbin thread is not being picked up, check for proper bobbin placement, ensure the needle is correctly inserted, and confirm that the machine is threaded correctly. If the issue persists, refer to the manual’s troubleshooting section.
- Q: How can I prevent fabric from bunching up or getting stuck?
A: Fabric bunching or getting stuck may be due to improper thread tension, incorrect needle size, or incorrect presser foot choice. Adjust the thread tension, use the appropriate needle size and type for the fabric, and choose the right presser foot for the task.
When encountering any issues with your SINGER 9985 sewing machine, it’s advisable to refer to the manual provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, you can seek assistance from customer service or visit an authorized service center if the problem persists or requires professional attention. Proper troubleshooting, maintenance, and usage in accordance with the manual can help ensure optimal performance and longevity of your sewing machine.