Brother GX37 Common Problems and Troubleshooting
Having a reliable sewing machine is essential for any sewing enthusiast. If you own a Brother GX37 sewing machine, you know how it simplifies everyday sewing tasks. In this article, we will explore common problems that may arise with the Brother GX37 and provide troubleshooting solutions to help you get back to your sewing projects in no time.
Brother GX37 Overview
The Brother GX37 makes everyday sewing a breeze with its 37 built-in utility and decorative stitches, perfect for garment construction, applique, and more. The stitches are conveniently printed on the machine, making it easy to select your desired stitch by simply turning the dial. The GX37 also features an automatic one-step buttonhole stitch and buttonhole foot, allowing you to create virtually perfect buttonholes effortlessly.
|7″D x 15″W x 17″H
|Item Model Number
- 37 unique built-in stitches: The GX37 features 37 unique, built-in stitches and an auto-size buttonhole.
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin.
- Included accessories: The GX37 comes with 6 sewing feet, a needle set, bobbins, instructional DVD, manual, and more.
- Versatile free arm: The Brother GX37 is perfect for a range of everyday sewing and quilting projects, catering to users from beginners to the advanced.
- At your side support: The GX37 sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support, offering free technical support via online, live chat, or phone for the life of your machine.
- Intended for sale only in the US at 120 volts, and any other use or sale voids the warranty.
Causes of Common Problems with the Brother GX37
While the Brother GX37 sewing machine is a reliable and versatile tool, there are times when users might encounter issues during their sewing sessions. In the following subsections, we will address possible problems and provide troubleshooting solutions to help you resolve them efficiently.
Common Problems and Troubleshooting for Brother GX37
Problem: Skipping Stitches
Description: The Brother GX37 may exhibit a problem where it skips stitches while sewing, resulting in uneven or incomplete stitches.
Cause: Skipping stitches can occur due to various reasons, such as using the wrong needle for the fabric thickness, incorrect threading of the machine, or a damaged or bent needle.
- Double-check the needle size and ensure it’s appropriate for the fabric you are using.
- Re-thread the machine carefully, following the threading guide in the user manual.
- Replace the needle with a new one, making sure it is properly inserted and oriented.
- Check the tension settings and adjust them as needed for the specific fabric and thread combination.
Problem: Bobbin Jamming
Description: Users may encounter issues with the bobbin getting jammed or tangled during sewing, causing the machine to stop or produce uneven stitches.
Cause: Bobbin jamming can happen when the bobbin is not inserted correctly, the thread is not wound evenly on the bobbin, or there is debris or lint in the bobbin area.
- Remove the bobbin and re-insert it, ensuring it clicks into place securely.
- Check the bobbin thread for even winding and re-wind the bobbin if necessary.
- Clean the bobbin area, removing any lint or debris that might be causing the jam.
- Ensure the bobbin is the correct type and size for the machine.
Problem: Uneven Tension
Description: Uneven tension results in one thread being too tight or too loose compared to the other, leading to unbalanced and unsightly stitches.
Cause: Uneven tension can occur due to incorrect threading, dirt or lint buildup in the tension discs, or using low-quality or old thread.
- Re-thread the machine carefully, paying close attention to the tension disc area.
- Clean the tension discs using a soft brush or compressed air to remove any debris.
- Use high-quality thread appropriate for your sewing project.
- Check the upper thread path for any snags or obstructions that might affect tension.
Problem: Machine Jamming
Description: The Brother GX37 may experience sudden jamming, where the fabric gets stuck or the machine freezes during operation.
Cause: Machine jamming can be caused by using thick layers of fabric, improper needle size, or incorrect settings.
- Slow down when sewing through multiple layers of thick fabric.
- Ensure the needle is suitable for the fabric’s thickness and adjust the needle position if necessary.
- Check the machine settings, such as stitch length and width, to avoid excessive strain on the machine.
- Clear the fabric from the machine, turn it off, and then restart it after a brief pause.
Problem: Noisy Operation
Description: Some users may notice excessive noise coming from the Brother GX37 while sewing, which can be distracting and concerning.
Cause: Noisy operation can result from a lack of proper lubrication, loose or damaged parts, or the need for maintenance.
- Refer to the user manual for proper lubrication points and apply a drop of sewing machine oil as recommended.
- Tighten any loose screws or parts that may be causing the noise.
- If the noise persists, contact Brother’s support for further assistance and potential servicing.
Problem: Thread Breakage
Description: Thread breakage occurs when the thread snaps during sewing, interrupting the stitching process.
Cause: Thread breakage can be caused by using old or low-quality thread, incorrect threading, or a damaged needle.
- Replace the thread with a fresh, high-quality thread suitable for your sewing project.
- Check the threading path and ensure the thread is correctly guided through all the thread guides and tension discs.
- Inspect the needle for any signs of damage, and replace it if necessary.
- Lower the thread tension slightly to reduce strain on the thread.
Problem: Skipped Stitches with Stretchy Fabrics
Description: When sewing stretchy fabrics like knits, the GX37 may skip stitches or produce uneven stitches.
Cause: Skipping stitches on stretchy fabrics can happen due to the wrong needle type, inadequate tension, or improper handling of the fabric.
- Use a ballpoint or stretch needle designed for sewing knits and stretchy fabrics.
- Adjust the tension settings to accommodate the stretchiness of the fabric.
- Consider using a walking foot attachment to help feed the fabric evenly during sewing.
- Try sewing slowly and avoid pulling or stretching the fabric excessively while sewing.
Problem: Uneven Feed Dogs
Description: The feed dogs, which move the fabric during sewing, may not feed the fabric evenly, causing fabric distortion.
Cause: Uneven feed dogs can be caused by dirt or lint accumulation, improper settings, or mechanical issues.
- Clean the feed dogs and surrounding area to remove any debris that might obstruct smooth fabric feeding.
- Check and adjust the feed dog height or drop the feed dogs if the machine has that capability for free-motion sewing.
- Ensure the presser foot pressure is set correctly for the fabric you are using.
- If the issue persists, consult the user manual for instructions on adjusting the feed dog mechanism.
Problem: Fabric Puckering
Description: Puckering occurs when the fabric gathers or wrinkles while sewing, resulting in an unsightly finish.
Cause: Fabric puckering can happen due to using the wrong stitch type, excessive tension, or incorrect needle size.
- Choose a suitable stitch type for the fabric, such as a straight stitch for woven fabrics.
- Lower the thread tension slightly to reduce the amount of fabric gathering during sewing.
- Ensure the needle is the appropriate size for the fabric weight to prevent excessive perforation.
- Consider using a stabilizer or interfacing to support the fabric and prevent puckering.
Problem: Jammed Reverse Lever
Description: The reverse lever, used to reinforce stitches, may get stuck or become difficult to operate.
Cause: A jammed reverse lever can be caused by dirt or debris accumulation, lack of lubrication, or mechanical issues.
- Clean the reverse lever area, removing any dirt or lint that may be causing the jam.
- Apply a small amount of sewing machine oil to the reverse lever mechanism, following the user manual’s guidelines.
- Gently wiggle the lever back and forth to free it if it is stuck due to misalignment.
- If the problem persists, contact Brother’s customer support for further assistance or professional servicing.
Problem: Needle Breakage
Description: The needle may break during sewing, causing the machine to stop and potentially damaging the fabric.
Cause: Needle breakage can occur due to using the wrong needle size or type, hitting pins or hard objects while sewing, or a misaligned needle.
- Ensure you are using the correct needle size and type for the fabric you are sewing.
- Remove any pins or obstructions from the fabric before sewing.
- Check the needle alignment and adjust it if it appears to be bent or misaligned.
- If needle breakage continues, inspect the needle plate and throat plate for any rough edges that might be causing the issue.
Problem: Bobbin Thread Showing on Top
Description: The bobbin thread becomes visible on the top side of the fabric, spoiling the appearance of the stitches.
Cause: The bobbin tension may be too loose, or the bobbin is not inserted correctly.
- Check the bobbin tension and adjust it slightly, making sure it matches the upper thread tension.
- Re-insert the bobbin, ensuring it is correctly wound and placed in the bobbin case.
- Test sew on a scrap fabric to check if the bobbin thread is now balanced with the top thread.
- If needed, make further adjustments to the tension until both threads are balanced.
Problem: Jammed Presser Foot
Description: The presser foot may get stuck in the down position, preventing the fabric from moving during sewing.
Cause: A jammed presser foot can be caused by debris buildup, improper presser foot attachment, or a mechanical issue.
- Remove the presser foot and clean the area thoroughly to remove any lint or dirt.
- Ensure the presser foot is properly attached and securely fastened.
- Check the presser foot lever or knob for smooth operation and proper engagement.
- If the presser foot remains jammed, consult the user manual or seek professional assistance for repair.
Problem: Uneven Feed of Fabric
Description: The fabric is not feeding evenly, resulting in uneven seam lengths and inconsistent stitches.
Cause: Uneven fabric feed can be caused by an incorrectly set feed dog height, tension issues, or fabric handling.
- Adjust the feed dog height to the appropriate setting for the fabric thickness and type.
- Check the presser foot pressure and adjust it to ensure the fabric feeds smoothly.
- Ensure the fabric is guided evenly and not pulling or pushing against the machine during sewing.
- If the issue persists, consider using a walking foot or a specialized foot designed for even fabric feeding.
Problem: Machine Not Powering On
Description: The Brother GX37 sewing machine does not turn on or respond to the power button.
Cause: Power issues can be due to a disconnected power cord, a blown fuse, or a malfunctioning power switch.
- Check the power cord and ensure it is securely connected to both the machine and the power outlet.
- Inspect the power cord for any signs of damage or fraying, and replace it if necessary.
- Check the power outlet and try plugging the machine into a different outlet to rule out electrical problems.
- If the machine still does not power on, consult the user manual or seek professional assistance for repair.
Problem: Thread Tangling under Fabric
Description: The thread gets tangled or bunched up under the fabric while sewing, causing jams and uneven stitches.
Cause: Thread tangling can happen when the needle is not threaded correctly, the tension is too tight, or the bobbin is not wound evenly.
- Re-thread the machine, ensuring the thread follows the correct path and passes through the needle’s eye from front to back.
- Check the upper thread tension and adjust it to a slightly looser setting.
- Rewind the bobbin, making sure the thread is evenly wound and inserted into the bobbin case properly.
- Use high-quality thread to reduce the chances of tangling during sewing.
Problem: Skipped Stitches with Thick Seams
Description: The machine skips stitches or struggles to sew over thick seams or multiple layers of fabric.
Cause: Skipping stitches on thick seams can occur due to using a standard needle, incorrect machine settings, or inadequate thread tension.
- Use a heavy-duty or denim needle designed for sewing through thick fabrics.
- Slow down the sewing speed and use the handwheel to manually guide the needle over thick areas.
- Adjust the thread tension to accommodate the thickness of the fabric and seam.
- Consider using a walking foot or a fabric guide to help feed the fabric evenly during sewing.
Problem: Inconsistent Bobbin Tension
Description: The bobbin thread tension varies, resulting in irregular stitches and visible loops on the fabric’s underside.
Cause: Inconsistent bobbin tension can be caused by improper bobbin winding, debris in the bobbin case, or incorrect bobbin type.
- Ensure the bobbin is correctly wound and inserted into the bobbin case with the thread unwinding in the correct direction.
- Clean the bobbin case area and remove any lint or debris that may affect bobbin tension.
- Check that you are using the appropriate bobbin type recommended for the Brother GX37.
- If necessary, adjust the bobbin tension slightly to achieve a balanced stitch appearance.
Problem: Jammed Thread Cutter
Description: The thread cutter on the machine may become jammed or fail to cut the thread cleanly.
Cause: Jammed thread cutters can result from thread buildup around the cutter blades or a misalignment issue.
- Clean the thread cutter area, removing any accumulated thread or debris.
- Use a brush or compressed air to clean between the cutter blades gently.
- If the thread cutter is not functioning correctly, consult the user manual for instructions on adjusting or aligning the cutter mechanism.
- If the problem persists, contact Brother’s customer support for further assistance or repair.
Problem: Uneven Stitch Length
Description: The stitch length is inconsistent, with some stitches appearing longer or shorter than others.
Cause: Uneven stitch length can result from inconsistent machine speed, incorrect settings, or mechanical issues.
- Practice sewing at a steady, consistent speed to achieve uniform stitch length.
- Check the machine settings and adjust the stitch length to your desired setting.
- Ensure the machine is correctly threaded, and there are no obstructions in the thread path that might affect stitch formation.
- If the issue persists, consult the user manual for instructions on adjusting the machine’s internal settings or seek professional assistance for calibration.
Problem: Fabric Jamming in the Bobbin Area
Description: Fabric may get jammed or tangled in the bobbin area, leading to sewing difficulties and potential damage.
Cause: Fabric jamming in the bobbin area can happen when sewing too quickly, using improper needle size, or insufficient fabric control.
- Slow down your sewing speed, especially when sewing through thick or multiple layers of fabric.
- Ensure you are using the correct needle size and type suitable for the fabric you are working with.
- Use a seam guide or fabric guide to help feed the fabric evenly and avoid it from wandering into the bobbin area.
- Always keep your fingers away from the needle and the bobbin area while sewing to prevent fabric mishaps.
Problem: Uneven Feed Dogs Movement
Description: The feed dogs may move unevenly or fail to advance the fabric smoothly during sewing.
Cause: Uneven feed dog movement can result from dirt accumulation, misalignment, or mechanical issues.
- Thoroughly clean the feed dogs and surrounding area to remove any dirt or lint that might hinder their movement.
- Check the feed dog mechanism for any signs of misalignment and make adjustments if needed.
- Oil the feed dog mechanism following the user manual’s guidelines to ensure smooth movement.
- If the feed dogs still move unevenly, consider seeking professional assistance for further inspection and repair.
Problem: Needle Threader Not Working
Description: The automatic needle threader feature may fail to work correctly, making it challenging to thread the needle.
Cause: Needle threader issues can be caused by misalignment, thread tension, or a damaged threader mechanism.
- Ensure the needle threader is correctly aligned with the needle’s eye and the thread guide.
- Check the upper thread tension and adjust it if it’s too tight, which can interfere with the threader’s operation.
- Inspect the needle threader mechanism for any visible damage or misalignment, and gently realign if possible.
- If the problem persists, consider threading the needle manually or seek professional assistance for repair.
Problem: Jammed Stitch Selector
Description: The stitch selector dial or buttons may become jammed or difficult to switch between stitch options.
Cause: Jammed stitch selector can result from dirt or debris accumulation, mechanical issues, or mishandling.
- Clean around the stitch selector area, removing any dirt or lint that might cause the jam.
- Operate the stitch selector dial or buttons gently and avoid using excessive force.
- If the stitch selector remains jammed, consult the user manual for any specific troubleshooting steps or seek professional assistance for repair.
- Be cautious not to force the stitch selector, as doing so might cause further damage.
Problem: Inconsistent Buttonholes
Description: The automatic one-step buttonhole feature may create inconsistent or poorly formed buttonholes.
Cause: Inconsistent buttonholes can be due to incorrect settings, improper buttonhole foot attachment, or fabric handling.
- Review the user manual and ensure you are using the correct settings for the desired buttonhole style.
- Attach the buttonhole foot securely and adjust the foot’s position if necessary.
- Practice sewing buttonholes on a fabric scrap to perfect your technique before sewing on the actual project.
- Consider using a stabilizer or interfacing to support the fabric during buttonhole sewing.
Brother GX37 Sewing Machine User Reviews
Positive Reviews from Brother GX37 Sewing Machine Users
- Many users were satisfied with the ease of use and simplicity of the Brother GX37. They found it beginner-friendly, making it an excellent choice for those new to sewing.
- Users appreciated the helpfulness of the instructional booklet, which provided guidance on various stitches and recommended fabric and thread combinations for each stitch setting.
- Positive feedback highlighted the machine’s sturdiness and quality, considering its affordable price point. Users were pleasantly surprised by the machine’s performance and durability.
- The automatic needle threader feature received praise, making threading the needle a breeze and reducing the intimidation factor for new sewers.
- Several users mentioned that the Brother GX37 worked smoothly and efficiently, producing even stitches and handling various fabrics with ease.
Negative User Reviews of the Brother GX37 Sewing Machine
- Some users experienced issues with the machine jamming, resulting in interrupted sewing and tangled threads. This problem frustrated sewers, making it challenging to continue their projects.
- Several negative reviews highlighted problems with the reverse stitch function. Users found it difficult to engage the reverse lever while in straight stitch mode, limiting its functionality.
- Some users encountered inconsistency with the machine’s performance, reporting that it worked well initially but started malfunctioning after a short period of use.
- Several customers expressed disappointment with the machine’s overall quality, finding it less durable and prone to breakdowns compared to their expectations for a sewing machine.
- A few users faced difficulties in obtaining customer support or repairs for their Brother GX37. This issue added to their frustration and dissatisfaction with the product.
All information about user reviews is taken from the site Walmart.
Brother GX37 Sewing Machine Manual
The operating instructions for the Brother GX37 sewing machine can be found on the manufacturer’s website. Please visit the Brother official website and navigate to the support or downloads section to access the manual. The manual provides detailed information on how to set up, operate, and troubleshoot the machine, making it a valuable resource for users.
Brother GX37 Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I access the Brother GX37 sewing machine manual?
The Brother GX37 sewing machine manual can be easily accessed on the manufacturer’s website. Simply go to the Brother official website, find the support or downloads section, and search for the manual using the model number “GX37”. The manual will provide you with essential information about your machine’s features, operation, and troubleshooting tips.
2. Why is my Brother GX37 sewing machine jamming frequently?
Sewing machine jamming can be caused by various factors. Ensure that you are using the correct needle size and type for your fabric. Check the bobbin and bobbin case for any thread tangles or debris. Make sure to thread the machine correctly and use high-quality thread to reduce jamming. Cleaning the machine regularly and using the appropriate sewing speed can also help prevent jams.
3. How do I adjust the tension on the Brother GX37 sewing machine?
To adjust the thread tension on the Brother GX37, locate the tension dial usually located on the front of the machine. Turn the dial clockwise to increase tension for tight stitches or counterclockwise to decrease tension for looser stitches. It’s essential to find the right tension balance for the specific fabric you’re using to achieve even and well-formed stitches.
4. Can I use thick or multiple layers of fabric with the Brother GX37?
Yes, the Brother GX37 sewing machine is designed to handle various fabric thicknesses and multiple layers. When sewing through thick fabrics or multiple layers, use a heavy-duty needle suitable for the material. Additionally, adjusting the presser foot pressure and sewing at a slower speed can help ensure smooth stitching on thick materials.
5. Why is my Brother GX37 sewing machine making loud noises while sewing?
Loud noises during sewing could be due to various reasons. Check the needle to ensure it’s securely inserted and not bent or damaged. Inspect the bobbin and bobbin case for any obstructions or debris. Clean the machine and oil any recommended parts following the instructions in the manual. If the noise persists, consider seeking professional assistance to identify and resolve the issue.
When encountering any issues with your Brother GX37 sewing machine, it’s important to refer to the manual first for guidance. The manual provides valuable information on how to operate and troubleshoot the machine properly. Additionally, don’t hesitate to reach out to Brother’s customer service or visit an authorized service center if you need further assistance or encounter more complex problems with your machine.